Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Mid-Year Resolutions?

I LOVE New Years! To me it is a time for “do-overs”. If you have not met your goals from the previous year you can start fresh and set new ones and then try better in the New Year. I ALWAYS set Resolutions on New Years Eve. I always write up a list and usually I am pretty good at following them for several months into the New Year before I start to slack off a bit.

Sadly: This year on New Years day I was really distracted by less worthwhile things and I didn’t set a single goal. So instead of starting off running and then slowing down I have just dragged myself along for the past few months. Add to that the fact that we have experienced some trials and set backs this year and suddenly I found myself having fleeting moments of happiness but lacking the Joy that is normally so much a part of my life.

The Stewart family motto; the thing we say when someone walks out the door is: “Remember who you are!” I kind of forgot who I was for a little bit. I allowed the perceptions of other people to define me and I lost my own perspective for a while.

With a little effort and a lot of prayer I am regaining that perspective. So, is it too late for Resolutions? How about Mid-Year Resolutions instead? So what if my “do-overs” are a few months late right? Better late than never?

Well one of my Resolutions is to reconcile any offense I have caused to anyone else while I was muddling through my self destructive period…and I am sure there are many of you. So if you are reading this and thinking that you fit into that category please know that I am sorry for my self absorption. I am sorry if I neglected a friendship or if I was less than giving. I am sorry if I slacked in my church calling. I am sorry if I was curt or judgmental. I am sorry if you are family and you felt like I put you on a back burner for someone else. I am sorry if I was “just not myself” and that I had the gall to argue with some of you who pointed that out to me.

A really good friend of mine had the courage to sit down with me and point out that it was evident to everyone who knows me well that I was throwing myself whole heartedly in the wrong direction but that she could see that I was coming back. Then she said, “From those of us who have kinda been waiting in the wings welcome back. We’ve missed you.” Thanks for that…feels good to have been missed.

No comments: