Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Walking With Dinosaurs-Live

A few months ago a friend of ours hooked us up with tickets to Walking With Dinosaurs Live. She was able to get us the group discount for the only "school group performance" so the tickets were a smokin' deal. Then the icing on the cake was that when she called to find out our seat assignment the coordinator told her that since the "good seats" hadn't sold out, they were allowed to open them up to us so we were able to get the $70 seats! They were literally front and center!!

The best part about it was the surprise since I didn't tell the kids where we were going or what we were doing until we walked into US Airways Arena. They totally flipped out. Even then they didn't understand the magnitude of what they were about to see until the first LIFE SIZED animatronic dinosaurs walked out on stage. (Look closely at the picture of the brachiosaurs and you will notice the paleontologist sitting on the rocks between their necks. That speck is a real person!) It was totally amazing and we will NEVER forget the day. I have to give a shout out to my friend Andrea Fisher for her thoughtful organization of the event. It was brilliant!

(The only negative: Now I just have to spend several weeks of homeschool deprogramming the kids of all the misinformation that the paleontologist was narrating throughout the performance. Ahhh...evolution...argh!)



I tried to upload our video of the mama T-Rex rescuing her baby but it wouldn't load so check out this little blurb from the producers if you are curious about the show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPAfGZUnNBU

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm so pleased that you and your children enjoyed our show, thanks for coming.
I am, however, deeply saddened that you feel the need to "de-program" an understanding of science. Walking with Dinosaurs was very carefully researched and we endeavour to update the show as new information comes to hand. Perhaps you could offer your children a book on dinosaurs and let them see why the evidence leads thinkers of all denominations to similar conclusions.
Good luck,
Philip Millar
Head of Sculptural fabrication
Walking with dinosaurs - the live experience, Melbourne

The Hallidays said...

Thank you Phillip for your concern about how I am raising my children. As you are deeply saddened by my beliefs I am equally saddened that there are people out there who can view the intricacies of this world and still believe that they somehow happened by chance. I believe they are by design. I believe that a loving Heavenly Father created man in his own image and I believe that the fundamentals of Evolution and Darwinism are not congruent with those tenets.

I hope it will bring you comfort to know that my children have and will see many dinosaur books that expose them to the so called “evidence” that leads (or misleads) others to their conclusions. In my curriculum I do teach that Evolution and Darwinism are theories that exist. We obviously attended WWD-Live so clearly they are exposed to a diversity of beliefs. I simply choose to expose them also to another book, about God, that will let them see why faith will testify to them that there were no accidents in the creation of this world. It is far too complex to have simply appeared into existence and then proliferated to encompass all that it does.

Our beliefs are deeply rooted in creationism and I simply cannot allow my children to be deceived by those who would promote an agenda that does not support that.

While I have no idea who you are or how you happened across our blog I welcome more comments from you on this topic but I would appreciate it if you would do so by email (My email is on my profile page.) and not on this blog since its’ purpose was and is to inform my friends and family (all like minded people on this topic) of the happenings in my family’s life not to debate hot button topics.

Rocker Mama said...

Well said, girl!