Wednesday, January 20, 2010

11-13 wk baby


This is about what our sweet pea looks like right now. It is about 3 inches long---about the size of a lemon. Between now and 16 weeks it will quadruple in size! It is drinking amniotic fluid, moving it's little arms and legs and possibly sucking its thumb (Awww!! Can you think of anything cuter than that thought?). It's wiggling about in it's little swimming pool which is about a quart of fluid...thank you...I DO in fact have an excuse for this gut that is overlapping my low rider jeans!

Speaking of the gut: While I'm not thrilled with how early I am showing (5th baby---6th pregnancy...give me a break) I have to say it's been a little fun being able to palpate my fundus (lay terms translation: feel the top of my uterus through my abdominal wall) this time. I have always been very heavy with my other pregnancies and never felt the fundus until it was well above my navel (20-25 weeks) before. Sometimes I just lay in my bed with my shirt up and poke at at the bump. Then I just stare at it waiting for it to do something. (Little inside giggle!) I absolutely adore it and the little life moving around inside of it...I can't wait until I can feel the baby moving...that is my FAVORITE part of pregnancy.

2 comments:

Aubrey Garff said...

I had no idea until last week that they drink the amniotic fluid! That is so crazy! It's all such a miracle. I am so happy for you that baby is growing well!

The Hallidays said...

Yep...then they pee it out and drink it again. My kids were totally grossed out about that until I explained that it's sterile because they are no eliminating toxins yet.