Friday, August 1, 2008

Where did you get that name?

I love hearing the origin of people's names so I just thought I'd share how we came up with our kid's names...we are often asked anyway so:

Caleb Ethan---Caleb comes from the Bible. Caleb and Joshua were righteous men that were obedient and kept their word to Moses. Plus we liked how it sounded. Ethan (kind of embarassing) comes from the John Wayne character Ethan Edwards in the movie "The Searchers".

Nathaniel Ryan---Nathaniel comes from the Bible also. He was one of the twelve apostles (also known as Bartholomew). It also comes from one of my ancestors Nathaniel Marble who was friends with Joseph Smith and the Smith family. Three of his eleven children were named in honor of Joseph, Hyrum and Emma. Ryan is my brother Eric's middle name.

Hayden Elisabeth---Hayden was a name I have wanted and planned to use for my first daughter since I was in my teens. I don't know why, I just love it. Elisabeth is after my BFF Beth Jarman because I love her so much I thought there should be a carbon. Rob begged for the "s" spelling for it's biblical significance since he and I both have deep admiration for John the baptist's mother. Having experienced years of infertility myself I feel a kinship to her long suffering faith.

Maxwell Hyrum---One of Rob's dearest friends and former companions from his mission to Atlanta, GA is Max H. Molgard. His middle name is "H." only. Rob used to tease him he would name his son after him..."H". Ironically the both of us have a deep love for Elder Neal A. Maxwell and Rob has a special place in his heart for Hyrum Smith. If you put them together it's pretty darn close to Max H. So all in all he is named after 3 stalwart men.

No comments: