Thursday, March 4, 2010

Building Stuff With My Boys

Okay so every year when Pinewood Derby rolls around I am filled with dread. Rob isn't really into stuff like cutting out cars on the jigsaw so it kind of falls to me to help the boys with their cars.

The funny thing is, I dread it because it stresses me out that I will mess up the block and have to start over but then we get going with it and it ends up being really fun. I like working with them and we have a lot of fun watching the cars---literally---take shape.

Yesterday we cut out Nater's and sanded it and in the evening the whole family went ot Home Depot to get some paint and another bit for the Dremel so we could work on Caleb's today. Nate got a Home Depot gift card for Christmas that he's been chomping at the bit to spend so he was able to buy his own paint with it there and he even wanted to buy the Dremel bit with his card as well. There is a reason we call him Nate the Tool Man.

Today we cut out Caleb's car and sanded it and we got the base paint on both of theirs. That means tomorrow we will lacquer them and add the wheels on. Geez...did I say it was fun? It may be fun but it is a lot of work. My neck is totally jacked up from bending over the Dremel.

I guess ulitimately it isn't really about building the cars but about building the memories. We have some good ones from this year. Here are a few pictures Vicki took of us.





Hey...check back for pictures of the finished results! The boys had some really cool ideas this year. (If you click on the first picture of Caleb and I to enlarge it and then look really close at his block you will get a sneak peak at his design.)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh, hot mamma is wearing her cute hoochie shirt! haha :)