Tuesday, February 23, 2010

18 weeks



The baby is nearly 18 weeks now. We had an ultrasound last Wed. which showed that he/she weighed (as far as they can tell) roughly 7 oz. and is about 7 in. long both of which are right on for last week. We had hoped to find out the baby’s gender but it seems that our little one likes to hide from the transducer apparently not a fan of ultrasound.

The kids were all there in the room and as soon as the image of the baby popped onto the screen there was a universal “Awwww!!!” from all of them since it was a very clear full body profile shot of head, torso, and legs. One of them said, “I see it’s spine…” One said, “There’s it’s skull…” They were all very impressed.

Personally; for me it was kind of surreal. Other than my growing girth I have yet to feel pregnant in any way. I haven’t felt the baby move yet and there is sort of an odd denial about the whole thing as if it just isn’t real yet. So when she put the wand on my belly and suddenly there was a baby on the screen I actually let out an involuntary gasp---like I was surprised there was actually a baby in there! I think the fact that it took so long to get pregnant this time makes it feel fleeting somehow. I can’t wait to actually start to feel movement. I think that will concrete things a bit emotionally. Besides; there is NOTHING in the world like the feeling of life moving inside of you. It is absolutely amazing.

In my previous pregnancies I have always felt movement for the first time during my 18th week and we will be having our diagnostic ultrasound around 19 weeks so I guess we’ll have another chance at finding out the gender then so we have a couple of fun milestones coming up really soon. I’m trying to be patient but I confess I am very eager for both. I will keep you posted when they are fulfilled.

3 comments:

Kristine said...

So there is a chance that this baby will stay...shall we say, modest through the rest of the pregnancy... :) It happened to me...and I'm always a bit excited when a child won't "reveal" everything during the ultrasound.

As for the pregnancy not feeling "real", I understand. My last 3 pregnancies have sped by...and I do have to remind myself that I'm in the middle of growing a baby.

The Hallidays said...

Funny you should say that Kristine...I have thought to myself, Wouldn't it be funny if this one that I want to know so badly on ends up being a "hider" all the way through? :)

Stacy said...

I think it is the baby's way of saying I don't want you to know, I want it to be a surprise. I felt the babies move later and later with each pregnancy. I remember I hadn't felt Anny move when we went to our 20 week appt. It was within the next two weeks I finally felt her. I love that feeling until I'm so big I don't want the baby to move.