Thursday, February 18, 2010

Somewhere UNDER the pedestal...

This is my blog. Some blogs are a political forum. Some blogs are religious standards. Some blogs are just for fun. I keep a blog so that I can write about the current events of our lives. I am generally a happy and upbeat person so I generally write happy and upbeat posts. A few months ago when things were not great I didn’t write about much because I wanted to keep the blog happy and upbeat but then I just didn’t blog. Today when something happened that is really eating at me I decided: You know what? It’s my dadgum blog and not everything that happens in my life is happy or upbeat so if I want to vent on my blog I’m going to! So now you have been warned so if you don’t like it stop reading now.

So here is what happened: One of my children came in to me today and tell me that the child of one of our friends said to my children that they shouldn’t talk to her or her brothers anymore because it will make their “mommy mad” because---and I quote; “You guys say bad words and do naughty things.”

You know that sinking feeling in your gut…the one that makes your throat close up a little and your eyes to well with tears…the one that makes you think, “Can I rewind the last 10 seconds of my life and have it not happen? Yeah…I had that feeling.

Not sure that there was full understanding on the part of my child and hoping that he had misunderstood, I called Caleb in (being that he is 10 years old and smart and truthful) and asked him---independent of the other child, “What happened this morning? There was a conversation about you guys playing with friends and it went how?” He repeated it verbatim only with a little more hurt and insult in his voice since he is also sensitive and kind and couldn’t quite understand the reason behind the venom with which this particular personal attack came from this other child.

Well I wasn’t sure what to say to him because I’m afraid that I don’t quite get it either. I can only say that not all naughty talk is potty talk. Some naughty talk is gossip and malice toward others. Some naughty talk is putting other people down to make yourself (or your children) seem taller. Some naughty behavior is about judging others and treating them like they are beneath you in some way.

Incidentally; it should be noted; in case you are unfamiliar with my children and their widely known reputation for being good kids---they are in fact---good kids. The only kind of “bad words” that I know for a fact have been said in front of these friends are; GASP!~ “stupid”, “dummy”, perhaps “idiot”…not F-Bombs, not profanity, not even potty words per se.

The words which have been said on occasion are typical “kid” words which we actually do not permit in our house but which now and then slip into bickering and kid behavior. I do not approve of them yet neither do I think that my children are on a highway to Hell because of the occasional use of them. (P.S. It’s okay that I said “Hell” there because it is a reference to a place in this scenario but if you feel more comfortable about it just try to pretend that the Ls in that word are hockey sticks.)

So my children are not perfect. They are kids. They are not finished being molded or raised and we certainly have a long road ahead of us. But they are GOOD kids and I am happy to say that they are neither arrogant nor self righteous. They pretty much look on everyone as equals. They are about as non-judgmental as kids come. We have worked hard to teach them that every person deserves love, respect and the “benefit of the doubt” regardless of their looks, their background, their religious beliefs…the list goes on.

Just because someone is different than you doesn’t make them less than you.

The top of a pedestal can be a very lonely place.

I think I’ll hang out with the other sinners beneath it. Christ did. He mingled with sinners and lived among them and yet in His perfection He did not shun those who were not perfect, he embraced them.

Rob and I are comfortable with the notion that if; after we raise our children; they manage to grow into kind, loving, compassionate, charitable, Christ-like adults who occasionally say “darn” or “heck” we will still consider it a job done well. If on the other hand, they never say a single bad word but they are holier than thou and hypocritical then I think that would be the biggest heart break of all.

The good news is that I think we might be headed in the right direction. While I sat shaking my head about this situation and now blogging about it (clearly I am not totally over it); my children came to a wiser and more charitable consensus on how to handle the situation. They talked it over and what they said to me is this:

“It doesn’t matter what they think because it’s not true. Besides even if it was true, Heavenly Father loves us all no matter what." Then they told me that they will still love these friends even though they had said naughty things to them because: "...that is what Heavenly Father would want us to do."

Maybe it is me who will learn from them.

11 comments:

Kristine said...

I hear you my friend. I'm sorry for the hurt you're feeling. :(

I came to the conclusion you did a few years back....
if my children are good, strong, helpful, thoughtful, contributing members of society, the labels that the world/church will put on them (i.e. active, inactive, gay, straight, work-a-holics, addicts, etc...) won't affect the way that I choose to love them and treat them. Of course, as a parent, I would LIKE them to choose certain paths...but we teach them the principles and let them govern themselves. And, truly, if we let them govern themselves, we don't FORCE our desires upon them...or upon anyone else.

I am sorry your heart is hurting tonight.
{HUGS}

beth said...

Well, we just had a conversation about your kiddos the other day and what I think about them. Self righteous is more than Naughty if you ask me.

Ps I like a spicy child more than a plotting one.

Pps... Children hear these things from their parents.

Ppps... I think you and Rob are awesome parents and your children are pretty much perfect.

Pppps... I am a good judge of kiddos, kind of an expert if I do say so myself.

Stacy said...

I ditto everyone else. I like you, and if you're going to H-E double hockey sticks, then I'll be there too, cause I consider you to be a pretty good mom, wife, friend. Except, I would never come right out and say H-E double toothpicks in my blog.

Juanita said...

Our family loves your family. You are right on track!

Salsa Mama said...

We miss you guys! Bring your naughty kids over here to play with my naughty kids, if that is the case! :)

Kim Skinner said...

is saying bad words wrong? ;)

j/k

loved this post.

tmcluff said...

Oh my goodness sweetie, if your kids are "naughty" I'm in big trouble. My kids are the ones who often "lead" them into not so appropriate situations. :o( Sorry. They are still learning too. I try really hard, just like you do, to encourage them to make good choices by being a good example to them and giving them consequences for not so good choices, but... Stuff happens. I'm sorry that you and your kids were hurt by a "friend's" mean words and judgemental attitude. Everyone who has posted is absolutely right about you and your kids. You and Rob are a wonderful parents and great examples of "Christ-like" service to all those around you. And I adore your sweet kids! They are wonderful kids! You would be hard pressed to find better kids with kinder hearts that are less judgemental than them! Hug them for me! I Love you sista!

Lovin Family said...

Remember..." Get the dam* dog out"?

That "naughty" boy is a DA@M good kid...i have proof!

If that's all they do wrong in life hallifreakinlooya!

p.s. i love you & your "naughties".

Jamie and Heather Darger said...

Clearly I have offended you. Kidding. Hang in there. I swear this part of raising kids is the most difficult. Tell me it gets better as they get older?

Alecia said...

Your kids are amazing. I have told you before I would love it if my girls would marry someone just like your boys. They are going to grow up to be happy confident loving respectful adults (unlike some other peoples children). Now you need to listen to your smart kids advice. ;) You are the one who taught them. Love you sorry you had to go through this. I wish I could tell ***** off for you but once again if we listen to your children I guess that wouldn't be very Christ like. lol

Unknown said...

Damn them. Damn them all to hell.

(I just wanted to take the attention off of your kids)